Tuesday 7 July 2015

With that said I’ll also mention that my parents are strict in their beliefs as Christians

S.A. (United States).
"I became Muslim about 6 months ago after studying many other religions and Islam seriously for over 5+ years. I come from a small town in the country, so I am the only Muslim in my area and the first and only Muslim in my family. Even before I ever knew anything about Islam I never hated Muslims despite what others said around me. I felt there had to be more than what we were being told. I also never saw hijab as something oppressive and after studying Islam I really appreciated it and admire those women who do wear it.
With that said I’ll also mention that my parents are strict in their beliefs as Christians, though they don’t practice as far as going to church. So naturally I haven’t told them that I converted, and because of that I don’t wear hijab outside the house out of fear someone will tell my family, and be disowned. But even if I had that freedom of not being concerned with my family I feel I’m not ready for the hijab and I’m not 100% sure why. I have always been a privet person but shortly after taking my Shahada I posted a picture of myself on Facebook in hijab and watched my friends list drop. Though I am beyond proud of being Muslim, that event along with what is said at home, school, and by my non-Muslim friends has made me insecure about wearing hijab.
I’ve realized at some point I will have to ignore everyone’s opinions and expectations of myself, but I wonder if and when I’ll ever be ready. Thinking about it sometimes makes me really angry that I should be so concerned about these thoughts to the point where I start feeling hate redness for both not covering, and sometimes just that idea that I should cover. It’s made me question many things in my character. But despite this small block I’m at in my life I continue to pray for guidance and I am inspired by those women who are brave enough to wear hijab despite the looks and comments they face."


No comments:

Post a Comment