Sunday 27 January 2013

Fazial Sadqat (Story No.17)


Fazial Sadqat (Story No.17).
Once there was a famine I Egypt, during the time when Abdul Hamid bin Sad Rahmatullah alaihe was the governor there. Abdul Hamid said to himself, I shall show to Shaitan that I am his enemy (i.e. I shall defy Shaitan who prompts a person to spend very scrupulously, in such Circumstances.). He made a proclamation that all the poor and needy ones of the country should come to the governor s house for their (daily) meals every day, till he prices came down . So, The needy persons continued to come and have meals with him at his house till the famine passed away and things were available at normal rates.  It so chanced that, when prices were normalized, he was removed from his office. It was estimated, at the time of his departure from Egypt, that he owed a million (1000, 000) Dirham’s. Abdul hamid Rahatullah alaihe later tried to redeem the pledged valuables, but he could not raise the money and, therefore, wrote to the businessmen, after some time, I authorize to sell all valuables laying in pledge with you, to pay off all my debts out of the money thus received , and to distribute the balance among such needy ones as a I could not help during my stay in Egypt . (It-haff). No less generous were the ladies of those times, who gave away their ornaments to be sold and distributed among the poor and the needy ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment