Monday 5 January 2015

I have recently put on Hijab Alhamdulillah.

Salam dear brothers and sisters.
My name is Amina and I am originally from Morocco. I work as a registered nurse in Kentucky. I have recently put on Hijab Alhamdulillah. I struggle with wearing Hijab especially because I live by myself and do not have a family. I live in a small town that is dominant with Christian conservatives where they are not enough educated professional Muslimahs here.
Since I put on Hijab I became more aware of my actions in front of my patients and the healthcare team. Many of my patients are nice to me and love me for being their nurse. Sometimes I am asked questions about my Hijab and my culture. Some of my friends tell me it is perfect because I am doing Dawah. I feel like I am not qualified to do Dawah because I am simple and I am not an Islamic scholar.
However, I answer the curiosity of people at my work. I mostly try to tell them things about Islam that they can relate to. For example one lady said to me: "Can I ask you something?" I replied back: "Yes, please." I knew she will ask me about my Hijab. She said: "Why are you wearing the scarf?" I said to her my beliefs emphasize on being modest and humble.
After I had the feel that she is interested to know more I explained to her that the Virgin Mary peace be with her she is very modest and humble and she used to cover up. We carried on the conversation with respect. Since I am in a situation of representing Muslims I try to be honest with people, cheerful, kind and loving to everybody. I have a long way to go and I strive everyday to be a better MuslIm.
I am proud for being an American Muslim

No comments:

Post a Comment