Tuesday 21 April 2015

How I Came To Islam

The family in which I was born and grew up was, from the religious point of view, no different from the generality of British homes. My mother is a Christian but she doesn’t practice religious worship and rituals. My father however did not believe in any religion. In my childhood I studied at a religious school and learned the subjects which are taught in English Church schools. Our usual conversation was never even remotely concerned with religion. I don’t remember any day of my childhood when I heard the name of God in my home.
While studying at the Church school I was not satisfied with some of the basic beliefs of Christianity especially the concept of Trinity and the belief in Atonement that God or Jesus had ransomed the people and by accepting the cross had atoned for all their sins. I heard many discussions and arguments about these beliefs but whatever I heard seemed to me only one side of the reality while I wanted to know fully. My school was a Christian school but I left it as an unbeliever.
After joining the University I got the chance to be introduced to Muslims. Before that I had neither read nor heard anything about Islam. In fact like other people in the West I also harboured prejudices and misunderstandings about it. But here in the university, Muslim students explained their basic beliefs to me calmly and in a very nice manner. They answered all my objections and have me some books to read. In the beginning I just skipped over the pages of the books when I had nothing to do. I only considered them a source of amusement and derision. But when I actually read parts of these books, they slowly reduced my suspicions about Islam.
Then I started reading those books carefully. Their style of presentation and the freshness of explanation and commentary surprised me. I was extremely impressed by the logic and argument with which their concepts of the Creator and the created and life after death were put forward.
After that these Muslim students gave me an English translation of the Noble Qur’an. However hard I try, I cannot fully estimate the impression the Qur’an left on my heart. Before I finished the third Surah, I had prostrated myself before the Creator of the Universe. This was my first Salat and since that time by the grace of Allaah, I am a Muslim. I accepted Islam hardly three months after I came to know about it. So I did not know anything more than basic concepts. After that I started a lengthy process of questions which I asked my Muslim brothers and argued with them over the details and sections of these questions.
I am often asked about the main reasons which made me accept Islam. It is difficult for me to give a satisfactory answer to this because the example of Islam- as a European Muslim has put it- is like that of a complete and perfect geometrical pattern whose every part completes its other parts and its real beauty lies in the harmony and cohesion of these parts and it is this characteristic of Islam which has a profound influence on human beings. Seen from a distance, Islam’s deep insight into the generality of things, motives, deeds, its explanations about the Islam. It amazes you and if you look at its details, you find it an incomparable guide for social life based as it is on straightforward and true ethical values. A Muslim takes the Name of Allaah whenever he does anything. And when he remembers Allaah, he examines his own self and in this he tries to reach a high standard. In this way the gulf between daily life of the world and the demands of religion is bridged and both sides become proportionate, evenly balanced and essential for each other.
Ayesha Bridget Honey (England)

No comments:

Post a Comment