Wednesday 29 April 2015

I am a 25 year old married woman living in Melbourne.

Khadijah: "I am a 25 year old married woman living in Melbourne. I chose to change my name from Brook to Khadijah since embracing Islam. Khadija was the name of the first woman who reverted to Islam.
I’m immensely thankful to Allah for having blessed me with His guidance and of course His protection through hijab. And I’m absolutely astonished how people think that we are oppressed. How is it possible that some women think that we dress modestly just to please men? Couldn't it be said that those women are doing exactly that? Dressing to please men? Isn’t that real oppression? Isn’t it freedom to let people see only what you choose them to see? Isn’t it freedom to be able to be confident and comfortable? Isn’t it freedom to not need attention from others in order to feel beautiful? Isn’t it freedom to demand others to see you as a human being and not as a commercial product of today's society? Isn’t it freedom to know that there’s no such thing as perfection when talking about human beings? Isn’t it freedom to realise that Allah thought it was worth it to create each and every single one of us, that we’re all beautiful in our own special ways?
I don’t wear jilbab because my husband wants me to.No. I wear a jilbab because I believe Allah told me to. I don’t need to prove myself to others, only to Allah. Islam (and with that, hijab) has liberated me."

No comments:

Post a Comment