Thursday 16 April 2015

Telling Mother Before Conversion

My Path to Islam Over the last 5 years, I began to research religions other than what my mother raised me as (Roman Catholic). I always turned to God for guidance, but I did not feel that Christianity was the right religion. It wasn't right to me, so I decided to search for answers. I read about Islam and learned as much as I could. About two years ago, I met a gentleman from Pakistan. He and his brother answered the many questions I had, and this year I made my decision to officially convert. As I read over the last few years, everything felt right, and it has been the best decision of my life. Al humdulillah.
How I Did It: My journey to Islam was no ordinary journey. My story, I feel, was no accident. It was definitely God's will for me to have taken the paths I chose and establish the friendships I have today.
Upon researching religions, I felt it was right for me to revert to Islam. I, just like many other people, was faced with many trials and tribulations throughout my life: abandonment by my father, suicidal attempts, many bad relationships, and a stressful life at home. I constantly felt broken and always turned to God. Upon a religious enlightenment one night, I searched for the truth. I found Islam.
After meeting and becoming friends with many Muslims from all over the world and asking many, many questions, I contacted community members that attended the local mosque and discussed with them how I should tell my family. I decided that I was going to tell my mother before I converted, as I respected her a lot for raising me and taking care of me my entire life. I love her, and I felt it was the right thing to do. I told her a few weeks before Christmas, and her reaction was hard to handle. She cried and couldn't talk to me for days, but I knew this is what I wanted to do, and I felt nothing should come before God. I was glad I told her before I went to the mosque, because one day she'll realize I respected her enough to tell her beforehand.
I was looking forward to the day I would go to the mosque. I continued to read, study, and memorize the Qur'an, and now, I am going to the mosque to convert (revert), al humdulillah, (thanks be to God). I have never felt so sure about something in my life. Since I began my journey to becoming a Muslim, I have felt at peace with my life, and I thank God every day for granting me the knowledge and wisdom to continue on my journey and guiding me on the right path.
At times it was difficult with my family, but my mother is beginning to accept it, and one day, maybe she, too, will realize that Islam is the true path. Reverting to Islam has honestly been the best decision I have ever made.
Advice
Decide what is right & what's best for you when it comes to talking to your family about your decision.
Make the time to pray your five daily prayers- the reward is well worth it.
Never be afraid to ask your community members questions- most won't mind helping you & are very welcoming to new Muslims.
Surround yourself with good people- it helps you lead a better life.
Don't take harsh criticism about your decision to heart- a lot of people don't understand the true meaning of Islam & only hear what's shown in the media. Approach the issue w/ patience & kindness.
Enjoy your journey! You've made a great decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment